Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2020

Week 14: Privacy


This week, I watched videos from TED conferences on online privacy, and lack of privacy from the government. I have a tough time with this one, because I was relatively aware of this problem, and sometimes think about it when I'm at a stoplight, like who might be watching me. But the question stands, what exactly does the government want with my information anyways, if I am a stand up citizen?
I have this crazy battle in my head, and I ask myself this all the time. Yes, it's pretty creepy that the government has our information, but I still don't quite get what they are using it for? And on that note, why do we even need to fill out a census anyways? Is that all for show? (I filled out the census for the first time this year and it was a little underwhelming, but exciting). I'm still trying to grasp what the danger is. Maybe a hacker would get that information and use it to harass me.
I guess the real problem is that originally governments were created to protect their people and keep things running smoothly, they shouldn't need private information about us to keep us safe.

Source:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/04/do-you-want-the-government-buying-your-data-from-corporations/275431/

No comments:

Post a Comment